Credits: Canva
After mpox outbreak, Africa is under the threat of yet another virus outbreak, this is the Marburg virus outbreak in Rwanda. So far, six people have died from the outbreak, confirmed the health minister. Most victims were the healthcare workers in the hospital's intensive care unit. As per reports, 20 cases have been identified since the outbreak was confirmed on Friday.
With the fatality rate of 8% it is the same virus family as Ebola. The main carrier is from fruit bats which spreads to humans then through the contact of bodily fluids of infected individuals, it spreads to others.
The common signs and symptoms of the Marburg virus include fever, pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and in the case of extreme blood loss, death too can happen.
So far, there is no specific treatment or vaccine for the virus. However, treatments like drugs and immune therapy are being developed as per the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Rwanda says that it has intensified its contact tracing, surveillance and testing to contain the spread. It has also tracked about 300 people who had come into contact with individuals affected by the Marburg virus.
The health minister has urged people to stay vigilant and avoid any physical contact and to wash their hands with clean water, soap or sanitiser and report any suspected case.
As of now, most of the cases have spread to the capital in Kigali. In light of this, the US Embassy in the city has advised its employees to work remotely for the next week.
This is the first time Rwanda has confirmed for Marburg cases, before this, in 2023, Tanzania confirmed the outbreak, whereas three people had died of this in Uganda in 2017.
As per WHO, this virus kills half of the people it infects. In the previous outbreaks, it has killed between 24% to 88% of the patients.
The virus was first detected in 1976 after 31 people were infected, out of which 7 died in simultaneous outbreak in Marburg and Frankfurt in Germany, and Belgrade in Serbia.
The source was traced to African green monkeys who were imported from Uganda. However, other animals too are linked to the virus spread, including bats.
In the past, the virus outbreaks have happened in countries like Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, South Africa, Uganda, and Zimbabwe. In 2005, this virus killed 300 people in Angola.
However, for the rest of the world, only two people have died from the virus in the rest of the world, with one of them being in Europe, and the other in the US. These both have been on expeditions to caves in Uganda.
Credit: iStock
China has reported a rare human case of H1N2v swine flu, underscoring the risk of zoonotic transmission and the importance of continued surveillance of swine-origin influenza viruses.
Swine flu is caused by type A influenza viruses that mainly infect pigs. Human infections are rare and usually occur after close contact with infected pigs. When these viruses infect humans, they are known as variant viruses.
H1N2v differs from seasonal human H1N2 influenza. The “v” stands for variant, indicating a virus of swine origin.
China reported its first human H1N2v infection in a 2-year-old boy from Yunnan province.
China notified WHO on February 3, 2026, after the infection was laboratory-confirmed on February 2. The child developed mild illness on January 20 and had reported exposure to domestic pigs before becoming ill.
A study by Chinese CDC researchers, published in Frontiers in Public Health on July 29, found:
No Evidence Of Sustained Human Spread
Dr Amit Prakash Singh, Consultant – Internal Medicine at CK Birla Hospital, Delhi, told HealthandMe that H1N2v is a swine-origin influenza virus that can occasionally infect humans, usually after exposure to infected pigs or contaminated environments.
“As no secondary cases or sustained human-to-human transmission were identified, this should not currently be viewed as a pandemic threat,” he said.
People with frequent pig exposure, young children, older adults, pregnant women and those with underlying health conditions may need greater caution, he added.
Prevention includes avoiding close contact with sick animals, practicing hand hygiene and respiratory precautions, and seeking medical attention for persistent or severe flu-like symptoms.
H1N2v infections have been reported sporadically in the US and Europe, particularly following exposure to pigs.
Human H1N2v infections remain rare. Greater concern would arise if there were evidence of sustained person-to-person transmission or changes that allow the virus to spread more efficiently among humans.
According to the US CDC, illness caused by variant influenza viruses has generally been mild, with symptoms similar to seasonal flu. These can include:
However, serious illness requiring hospitalization and, in some cases, resulting in death has also been reported.
Variant influenza A infection can be diagnosed through respiratory testing. Four antiviral drugs are recommended in the US for treating influenza: oseltamivir, peramivir, zanamivir and baloxavir, the CDC said.
Credit: AI
Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million (Rs 507 crore) to settle lawsuits brought by families whose loved ones donated their bodies to Harvard Medical School for education and research, only to have parts of those remains stolen and sold.
The settlement stems from Cedric Lodge's acts, the former morgue manager of Harvard Medical School, who was sentenced to eight years in prison after he pleaded guilty to stealing and selling human remains on the black market.
A Massachusetts court has granted preliminary approval to the settlement. The final approval is expected in December this year.
The case has not only raised disturbing questions about Lodge's actions, but also about how donated human remains are protected inside a reputed medical institution.
Lodge worked at Harvard Medical School's morgue and had access to bodies donated to the school under their Anatomical Gift Program.
Federal prosecutors said that between 2018 and March 2020, instead of disposing remains according to the agreement, Lodge removed "heads, brains, skin and bones", and other body parts from donated cadavers after they had been used for teaching and research.
He allegedly transported the remains from the Harvard morgue in Boston to his home in New Hampshire, where he and his wife, Denise Lodge, sold them to buyers in different states. Some of the buyers subsequently resold the parts.
According to a statement from the US Attorney's Office, "At times, Cedric Lodge allowed [others] to enter the morgue at Harvard Medical School and examine cadavers to choose what to purchase."
Also read: Organ Donation: The Gift Of Life
The scandal came to light in 2023, when Lodge and several others were charged in the trafficking scheme. Lodge sentenced to eight years in federal prison in December 2025, while his wife, Denise Lodge, received a sentence of one year and one day for her involvement.
Other people who purchased remains from Lodge have also pleaded guilty and been sentenced. Katrina Maclean from Massachusetts, and Joshua Taylor from Pennsylvania, allegedly purchased body parts from Lodge.
According to the charging statement, in October 2020, Ms Maclean purchased dissected faces for $600 that she intended to have tanned into leather.
Ms Maclean owns a store called Kat's Creepy Creations. The business's social media page showed she specialised in up-cycling dolls into blood-soaked, horror novelties.
It is not confirmed if the cadaver parts were used in her products. The indictment alleges she stored and sold human remains at the store.
Mr Taylor allegedly bought several stolen body parts from Ms Lodge over the course of four years, worth more than $37,000. The indictment included a particularly grim reference to a PayPal memo for a purchase of $1,000 (£790) that allegedly read, "head number 7".
United States Attorney Gerard M. Karam said, "Some crimes defy understanding." He added, "The theft and trafficking of human remains strikes at the very essence of what makes us human."
George Q. Daley, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Harvard University, said he was "appalled to learn that something so disturbing could happen on our campus".
He said in a statement, "We are so very sorry for the pain this news will cause for our anatomical donors' families and loved ones, and Harvard Medical School pledges to engage with them during this deeply distressing time."
He also confirmed that Cedric Lodge was terminated on May 6.
Also read: World Organ Donation Day 2026: Too Old Or Too Sick To Donate Organs? Doctors Bust Key Myths
The criminal case against Lodge is separate from the civil lawsuits against Harvard. The families who donated the remains of their loved ones argued that Harvard had a responsibility to properly safeguard those bodies. Their lawsuits accused the university and medical school of negligence and breach of their duties toward donors and their families.
The case is particularly sensitive because body donation depends heavily on trust and respect. People who donate their remains generally do so with the expectation that they will be treated respectfully and used for legitimate medical education or research.
In October 2025, Massachusetts' highest court allowed the lawsuits against Harvard to proceed after an earlier dismissal, clearing the way for the settlement.
The financial settlement will compensate families financially involved in the lawsuits. But Harvard has also agreed to certain non-financial compensation.
The institution will hold a live webinar with affected families and publicly acknowledge that Lodge's actions were “morally reprehensible” and inconsistent with Harvard's standards for treating anatomical donors and their loved ones.
Harvard also plans to create an annual scholarship for medical students, beginning in the 2027-28 academic year, in honour of people who donated their bodies to the school's Anatomical Gift Program.
Harvard Medical School Dean George Daley and Dean for Medical Education Bernard Chang said the settlement would allow the university and families to avoid prolonged litigation, while acknowledging the devastating impact of the scandal.
Credit: AI
A major counterfeit medicine racket has been busted near Bengaluru, with authorities seizing spurious drugs worth around ₹5 crore from a facility near the Bidadi toll gate.
But the investigation has raised an even bigger concern. Some of the fake drugs may also have entered hospitals, pharmacies and even intensive care units (ICUs).
Karnataka Health Minister U T Khader said the drugs were allegedly relabelled using the names of multinational pharmaceutical companies.
The Food Safety and Drug Administration's drug wing carried out the operation on August 18. Officials suspect the racket could be connected to a wider network spanning multiple states, with counterfeit pharmaceuticals sourced from different places including Himachal Pradesh and Telangana.
According to officials, the medicines were allegedly relabelled with the branding of known pharma companies, making counterfeit products appear genuine. This is particularly concerning as fake medicines could become difficult to identify and eliminate simply by examining the packaging.
Authorities are now looking into where these medicines came from, how they got into the supply chain, and which hospitals or pharmacies may have received them. It has not been reported that any hospital has actually administered the fake drugs to the patients.
Counterfeit medicines are always a major public health concern, but the consequences can be particularly severe in an ICU.
Critically ill patients often depend on medicines that have to work quickly at precise doses. Drugs used in intensive care can include antibiotics, medicines to control blood pressure, sedatives, pain medicines and drugs that support organ function.
Also read: From Liquor to Dabur to VKC Nuts, FSSAI Crackdown Puts Food Safety in Focus: Why It Matters
If a counterfeit product contains too little, too much, the wrong ingredient or no active ingredient at all, treatment can fail at the moment a patient needs it most.
For instance, a fake antibiotic may contain insufficient active medicine. In a critically ill patient with a serious infection, that could mean the infection continues to worsen while doctors believe the patient is receiving appropriate treatment. This could delay the correct course of treatment, leading to potential complications.
The opposite problem is also a possibility. An incorrectly formulated medicine could lead to toxicity, allergic reactions, organ damage, or other complications.
India's drug regulators regularly issue alerts about medicines that fail quality tests, while the Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission's Pharmacovigilance Programme of India publishes drug safety alerts and regulatory information. The Centre has also been strengthening pharmaceutical traceability and regulatory oversight.
Earlier this month, the government notified amendments to the Drugs Rules that allow regulatory authorities to debar applicants who submit misleading, fake or fabricated documents or information to get their drugs approved.
But the Bengaluru case highlights a different challenge. Even when legitimate medicines are properly regulated, counterfeit products can infiltrate the supply chain. Health Minister Khader said the suspected racket could be part of a larger national network, making the investigation particularly crucial.
© 2024 Bennett, Coleman & Company Limited